The original school opened in 1875, built on land donated by William Fletcher, a local benefactor. The school grew and during the 1970s, a new building was opened in the village and the school operated from two sites.
In 1989 the original school was completely refurbished and enlarged to bring the school back on to one site and when the double detached mobile was added in 1997 this made the school a one-form entry.
The buildings and grounds now include a secure play area for the Reception Class, an ICT suite, a library and a music /group/community room. The school has a playing field, two play grounds, a small orchard and a woodland and these are all valuable outdoor play and learning environments.
There is a ‘good range’ of extra-curricular activities and all pupils are encouraged to participate. Sports matches are played against local schools and links with the local community are ‘very strong’.